TECHNOLOGY STEPS TO FUEL ELEMENT
We are well aware that other laboratories started to develop manufacturing technologies which differ from our approach.
We believe having good arguments in favour of a technology, which comprises the following steps:
- development of a boron-free SSiC for in-core-application
- manufacturing of robust SSiC hollow bodies
- filling of the hollow body with fuel (preferably TRISO coated particles in a matrix or sintered UO2-pellets)
- densification of the fuel-matrix-mixture
- hermetical sealing of body with a SSiC lid by laser beam joining
- laser engraving of Batch Identification Code and Safeguards Seal
- armouring of capsules or compacts with fibre braids to form rods
- assembling of rods with a ceramic skeleton to a bundle fuel element
- quality tests.
To better understand the basic problems for other types of ceramic encapsulated fuel elements, details are presented in 3 key objectives: